Sunday, February 22, 2009

Getting the racing season started (sort of)

Since I had the time and opportunity, I decided to do a mountain bike race today. I took part in BuDu Racing's West Side Mountain Bike Series at South SeaTac park. I haven't raced a mountain bike in well over 2 1/2 years so, combined with how early it is in my training season, my expectations were low. I was pleasantly surprised however. I raced in the sport category and although I started out near the back of the field, my lap times were consistent and by the end I had moved up to the middle of the field, finishing 10th out of 20 in my age group.


More encouraging than the results page though was how I felt during the race. I haven't done any real intensity yet in my training and have only been back on the bike for a little less than a month. I felt good on the what climbs there were and was able to push hard without blowing up. The work in the weight room over the winter paid off as well as I had very little fatigue in my upper body. The trails at South SeaTac were as fun as always and the weather man was wrong and it didn't rain. Oh yeah, and the new bike is a kick in the pants as well!

No comments: