Saturday, May 16, 2009

Wenatchee Omnium Criterium - An unexpected development

This afternoon's crit was fast and furious and unfortunately ended with my typical crit result, being pulled by the officials after being dropped. There was a pleasant surprise this afternoon however.

They are requiring all the riders to sign in before each event to confirm their participation in order to be scored in the omnium standings. Unlike some omniums, they are also requiring that you finish each event to remain in the omnium competition. For the criterium, as long as you made half distance before being pulled, you were considered to have finished and were placed.

As I was waiting in line to sign in, I overheard the rider in front of me discussing with the official that he had been mistakenly scored in my category for the TT. The official said they'd check into it and correct it if necessary. Fast forward to this evening when I went back to make sure I was credited with a finish in the crit as I was pretty sure I made it past halfway. I checked the crit results and saw that I was credited with 32nd of 35 finishers. The bigger development though was that they had corrected the aforementioned misplacing of riders in my category and it turns out I got 9th in this morning's time trial and scored a couple of points in the omnium.

It was a great morale boost to make the top 10 in the TT and will make tomorrow's heinous climb on the road course a little easier to bear. The road race course is a beast, but I managed to come away with a couple points last year on it, so I'm hoping I can do it again tomorrow.

No comments: