Thursday, June 9, 2011

2011 Washington State Time Trial Championship

This past Sunday’s Washington State Time Trial Championships  was my last “A” priority event for my 2011 season.  After a good month of racing in May that included my best ever effort at the Enumclaw Stage Race, my plan was to do some focused time trial training in the weeks leading up to the event.  That was the plan, and as you go through life and racing, you learn that sometime the plan doesn’t come to fruition and you just have to adapt and make do.   Life’s other commitments and responsibilities intervened and in the two weeks leading up the State Championships, I rode only twice.  I was rested for sure, but not at my best form.

On the plus side, I got to travel to the race with two of my Methow Cycle & Sport – Blue Star Coffee Roasters teammates which was quite entertaining at times and definitely made the hours in the car pass quicker.  Sometimes, the journey to the race is the most memorable part of the race weekend.  Our dinner experience at a restaurant on the way to the race is one I won’t soon forget as one of the other customers answered the blues musician performing at the restaurant with, “ I don’t  play music, but I can appreciate it and I love goats”  when asked if he played an instrument.  He also added that he could hug a tree and eat a cheeseburger at the same time.

As it has been several times in recent years, the race was held on a course just outside of Tenino.  It’s a course that I really enjoy and most of it has been recently resurfaced which made the ride even better.  As for the race itself, it was pretty unremarkable.  I got off to a good start and settled into my pace easily.  I caught a few riders prior to the turnaround.  On the way back, I was passed by one rider, but I kept my pace high and felt strong all the way to the finish.  My time of 59:18 ended up being good enough for  7th place in the age 40+ Category 4-5 group.  An okay result from an okay time resulting from okay form.  Hopefully, next year the plan comes to fruition and the result is a little better!

No comments: