Friday, December 31, 2010

Putting a wrap on 2010

2010 was a great year on two wheels for me.  I had a solid and enjoyable racing season on the road, I completed my first triathlon, rode my first century in many, many years and got in some great mountain bike rides in the fall.

I didn't set the world on fire with my racing results, but I feel I am still progressing as a rider and improving.  I think my favorite race of the year was the Mutual of Enumclaw Stage Race.  It was a pleasing weekend of racing for me.  I had a strong TT, finished my first crit in contact with the pack in forever, and had a fairly strong road race.  I'll definitely try to put by best effort forward at that race in the new year as I think I can do well there.  The return of the state time trial championships to Tenino was a highlight as well.  Although my form was not at my best, I really enjoy racing on that course and put in a solid and rewarding effort.

The middle of the year brought a new two-wheeled experience for me as I completed my first triathlon in Chelan.  Triathlon doesn't light my fire the way road racing does, but I had a great time, bought a wetsuit, and will do a couple more in 2011.  The variety of the experience helps break up the monotony of training as well.

In the fall, my sister and I headed to Hood River, Oregon to ride in the innaugural Echelon Columbia River Gran Fondo.  It was the first time in many, many years that I had ridden 100 miles in a day and also the first time getting to ride an event with my sister in a long time.  It was a great event with a beautiful route and a wonderful way to spend a day with my sister.

Also in the fall I got a new mountain bike and got in some great riding before the winter closed in.  I am really looking forward to spending more time on the trails in the coming year.

As the year draws to a close, I am filled with excitement for the two-wheeled experiences that await me in 2011.  Bicycles are an indispensable part of my life and I look forward to many more memorable miles in the new year.  May all of you have a safe and rewarding 2011.

No comments: