Wednesday, September 8, 2010

2010 State Time Trial Championships

This seems to be the year that I take a really long time to get around to writing my blog posts about my races.  Seeing that it has been well over a month since I rode the state time trial championships, it must be about time for a post on that subject.

This year's race was back in Tenino on a course that I really, really like and had raced on twice before.  Its mostly flat with only a few small hills and is on fairly winding roads which keeps things interesting.  It is far more enjoyable to race on than the straight featureless shoulder of a highway somewhere.

I headed to Tenino with pretty limited expectations.  Preparations for my triathlon experiment during the previous couple months had diverted my focus away from my cycling training in favor of swimming and running.  This meant I knew I wasn't going to set the road on fire and was probably going to be "pack fill".
Still, I knew the course well and enjoyed racing on it so I felt it was worth the trip.

I'll spare you the blow by blow account of my ride, but I felt great.  It was one of my best efforts and I don't see how I could have ridden any harder or any faster.  I was really pleased with my race and enjoyed it, but with so little training leading up to it, I finished the 40k course in just over an hour and placed 15th of 28 in the category 4-5 field.  About what I should have expected and still a pretty good way to spend the first day of August.


Thanks to David Longdon for the photo.  Be sure to check out his blog: http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/velocity/

No comments: