Saturday, April 3, 2010

2010 Frozen Flatlands Saturday Road Race - Wind sucks as it blows!

After my solid result in this morning's time trial, I was cautiously optimistic that this afternoon's road race might be an enjoyable affair.  I've yet to finish in the pack in my previous two attempts, but hope springs eternal!

As we lined up for the start, the day's wind was still howling 20+mph and a very dark cloud seemed to be headed our way.  Most of the riders were chatting about how much clothing they had on and would it be enough with the wind, precip threatening, and temps in the low 40s.  I opted to start with my rain jacket on and that proved to be the right decision even though the dark cloud staring us down at the start missed us.

The course started through a forested section for the first few miles and was fairly directly into the wind.  This and masters proclivity for easing into their races made for a comfortable pace early on.  Soon though, someone had had enough and launched an impressive solo attack.  The pack chased intermittently, but seemed content to let the rider go up the road a ways.  Soon we emerged from the trees and onto a more windswept landscape.  The wind was still from mostly ahead, but had a pretty good cross from the right which meant I spent a lot of time trying to hang near the centerline and get as much shelter as possible.  I'm always amazed at how unaware of wind direction some riders are.  The pack steadily shed a few riders in this section as they were unable to figure out where the draft was, even though the pace was still reasonable.  that was about to change.

Soon, the course made a 90 degree turn to the left and entered a rolling section.  The wind went to being a quartering tailwind.  The collective will seemed to be that it was time to reel in the break.  The pace spiked and their was almost no shelter from the wind at all.  I yoyoed a bit, but was soon dropped for good after only about 15 miles of racing.  With the wind and squall clouds all around, I seriously considered pulling a 180 and heading back to the start.  Many other dropped riders were choosing this option.  Stragglers off the pack were tantalizing close and I continued on hoping to catch on and have a group to ride with.  Alas this was not to be and soon I had passed the halfway point on the course and the shortest way home was to finish.  The wind and occasional bouts of hail, some heavy, made the solo ride less than enjoyable, but I finished it off.

I'm sure I was the absolute last finisher in my field as surely no one else was stupid enough to ride the rest of the course after being dropped that early in today's conditions.  Tomorrow is a short road race of only 25 miles, so hopefully that will go better.  At any rate, its all good training mileage which is what I need most this time of year.

No comments: