Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A Grand Day Out

Today was a great day to get out on the mountain bike and take in one of the Methow Valley's classic mountain bike rides, the Buck Mountain loop. I had figured I'd end up only riding part of the loop, expecting some of it to still be snowbound, but was pleasantly surprised to find only a few very small patches of snow that were easily ridden through. This loop is also mostly in sparsely timbered terrain, so it doesn't suffer from a lot of blown down trees after the winter.

It was great to be out on the mountain bike for a couple hours. It provided a nice change of pace from my usual training on the road. The trail was in great shape and the it was a beautiful spring day in the Methow. It is still a little early for wildflowers with only a few Bluebells and Yellowbells in bloom, but in another month or so this route will be carpeted in the yellow of Balsam Root flowers. The snowcapped peaks in the distance were a nice touch, however.

I found a nice spot with a great view of the valley below to enjoy my lunch before beginning the final descent down to the trailhead. The very end of the ride features a high speed section on a fire road with some perfectly shaped waterbars.
I suppose you could stay on the ground if you tried, but that wouldn't be much fun. Its a great way to finish up a great ride. Today was truly a day that reminded me of how lucky I am to be able to live and ride in the Methow.

No comments: